THE CONCRETE BRIDGE MAGAZINE

SPRING 2010

ASPIRE is a quarterly magazine published by PCI in cooperation with the associations of the National Concrete Bridge Council. The editorial content focuses on the latest technology and key issues in the Concrete Bridge Industry.

Issue link: http://www.aspiremagazinebyengineers.com/i/306855

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 51 of 59

50 | ASPIRE , Spring 2010 partly by OSHD, and funded jointly by the states of Oregon and Washington. It is partly a cast-in- place, post-tensioned, segmental concrete box girder and partly a precast, post-tensioned, segmental box girder bridge. The 11,750-ft-long structure boasted a 600-ft clear span over the navigation channel. During the last decade, two precast concrete segmental post-tensioned deck arch bridges have been built along the Oregon Coast, Cook's Chasm Bridge near Yachats with a 126-ft-long main span and Spencer Creek Bridge near Newport with a 140-ft-long main span. (For more information on this project, see the Winter 2010 issue of ASPIRE.) For a century, Oregon has played an active role in the evolution of concrete bridge design and construction. In 1913, construction of the scenic Columbia River Highway began, relying heavily on reinforced concrete structures to span the many streams, chasms, and mountainsides of the Columbia Gorge. From 1919 to 1936, the renowned concrete arch expert, Conde B. McCullough, headed the OSHD Bridge Section and produced many beautiful bridges that are still in service today. During the past decade, there was a tremendous amount of prestressed concrete girder construction as the state updated many major freeway structures. All of these things point to a future that makes extensive use of both reinforced and prestressed concrete and could include longer span concrete structures, incorporation of a larger variety of precast components, additional aesthetic solutions, and more preservation work so that future generations can enjoy Oregon's bridge heritage. _________ Ray Bottenberg is senior corrosion engineer with the Oregon Department of Transportation in Salem, Ore. The 1936 Alsea Bay Bridge, shown on left, at Waldport was one of five bridges built simultaneously under a large Public Works Administration project that eliminated five ferries along the Oregon Coast Highway. Designed by Conde B. McCullough and his staff to complement their natural settings, all five bridges included reinforced concrete arches. The Alsea Bay Bridge was replaced in 1991 with a new bridge, shown on right, that features post-tensioned concrete box-girder approaches. Photos: Oregon Department of Transportation. Seen from the north, the 1982 Glenn L. Jackson Memorial Bridge across the Columbia River at Portland was touted as the "first of a new generation of large segmental bridges." Photo: Oregon Department of Transportation. The Cape Creek Bridge on the Oregon Coast Highway is a 619-ft-long, two-tiered reinforced concrete arch inspired by the Roman aquaduct near Nimes, France. The bridge, completed in 1932, is still in use today. Photo: Henry G. Russell. State_spr10.indd 50 4/30/14 11:53 AM

Articles in this issue

Archives of this issue

view archives of THE CONCRETE BRIDGE MAGAZINE - SPRING 2010